WebTemplate, I just don't get it :)

Apr 7, 2013 at 11:44 AM
Hello

I have a few problems when trying to add a web template SPI to a project.

I am running VS2012 (update 2) with local SP2010 Server and
  • I get error message after adding new item: web template (Object reference not set to an instance of object); anyhow the web template elements do appear.
Now, let's pretend the error message did nothing important ;)

What next?

The different artifacts are not in any features; what kind of structure should there be? All site-, some web-scoped or what? All in one feature or scattered in many as Vesku instructed.

The documentation in the site is unfortunately still in "coming soon" state after about an year.

If I got it working, can I have site - subsite structure after adding two (or more) web templates. I have built quite a few sites according to Vesku's blog, but automating this structure would be just wonderful saving in time and effort and diminishing correcting dumb copying and GUID errors I seem to make too many :)

As a matter of fact - generating a prototype two level web template based publishing site automatically would be considered a viable alternative to next year's Nobel prizes :)

hank
Coordinator
Apr 17, 2013 at 9:41 AM
CKSDev for VS2012 (http://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/cf1225b4-aa83-4282-b4c6-34feec8fc5ec) doesn't yet provide the item templates and is the only fully supported version of CKSDev for VS2012. The manifest changed behind the scenes which now breaks the v2.4 versions from sp2010 versions. I would suggest using VS2010 and CKSDev v2.4 if you are only building sp2010 web templates. You could then import those into VS2012 as an interim workaround.

The templates will be part of the new versions once the deployment steps are included.

Cheers,

Wes