I don't see the SharePoint references Tab

Apr 5, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Hi

I needed to get Visual Studio 2010 ready for some SharPoint 2010 development on a Win 7  Enterprise 64-bit  machine without SharePoint Server or Foundation running.  s Previoulsy, I copied over the required dlls from the server and copied them to the  GAC. I can tehn  build my project .

Now after installing CKS Server these references have been lost. Indeed I can't even add them.

Looks like I need to uninstall CKSDEV unless there is some remedy

Daniel

May 11, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Hi

It's a pity I can't upload any screen dumps as basically, the install appears ok  when I look in VS2010 -> Tools -> Extension Manger I see  

• CKS - Development Tools Edition (Foundation)
  • CKS - Development Tools Edition (Server)  
  • CKS - Development Tools Edition (WCT)

However, I don't see all the options described in the documentation such as copy the dll name or the SharePoint Console app template.  Is this tool dependant on having a local installation version of  SharePoint Foundation or Server.  I do have the Quick Deploy (CKSDEV) menu tho.

Daniel

@westerdaled

Coordinator
May 14, 2012 at 6:15 AM

CKS:DEV extends the Visual Studio 2010 SharePoint Developer Tools which require SharePoint 2010 to be installed on the machine.

May 14, 2012 at 8:18 AM
Edited May 14, 2012 at 8:18 AM

Hi 

Thanks for your reply. Yep this is the conclusion I came to over the weekend when comparing 2 installations of CKS:Dev.   Can this be rectified in the future? The reason I ask is, that I have previously imported the 14 registry hive from my SharePoint and I am able to choose any of the SharePoint 2010 projects in VS2010. It would therefore be great if I could also choose those that are supplied by CKS:DEV.

Daniel 

Coordinator
May 15, 2012 at 6:12 AM

I'm not sure we will be rectifying this, although this is just my take. The scenario that you are describing, although very helpful and I understand the reason you would like to have it, is not supported from the Visual Studio 2010 SharePoint Developer Tools perspective and with that it might take us on a path where we would be experiencing errors that wouldn't be there in the first place if SharePoint was installed.

May 15, 2012 at 11:12 AM
Edited May 15, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Hi Waldek

Thanks for taking the time to understand my reasoning.  I wonder if is worth polling the other members of the CSK:Dev team and or, other members of the community to see if it's worth further investigation. Perhaps you could tell them removing SharePoint out of the equation encourages more unit testing!

Although seriously, I suspect most devs using CKS:DEV  who are doing their heavy lifting on i5 or i7 machines with VMWare Desktop/ bootable .vhds and plenty of RAM. So won't see the relevance.  

Probably exhausted the topic now but would be intrigued if there were any developments covering this in the future.

Daniel

@westerdaled