CKS:DEV doesn't seem to recognize Content Types from a subsite

Aug 5, 2010 at 3:15 PM

I am trying to use the Import Content Type feature of CKS:DEV. For Content Types created at root site level this works great, but for Content Types we created at a subsite level, it doesn't seem to work. The option is there in the right-click context menu, but nothing is imported.

I have to add, that at first, no Content Types were shown in the Server Explorer at all for any subsite. Only after I created a new SharePoint Connection in the Server Explorer for a particular subsite, I was able to browse the Content Types of that site.

What I also noticed, is that the Content Types are not shown in the grouped view of the Content Types in the Server Explorer. They are just shown in the flat list. Could it be that CKS:DEV doesn't recognize them in some way? Or am I doing something wrong?

Coordinator
Aug 5, 2010 at 3:26 PM

I suspect this functionality may be limited to only the site collection level at the current version. The CKSDev team will investigate this and provide a response here.

Cheers,

Wes

Coordinator
Aug 5, 2010 at 4:08 PM
Following on from some investigation I can confirm that CKSDev will not currently support content types created in subsites below the root web of a site collection (Even when the url is mapped to the subsite). The VS OOB currently does not map content type nodes as you expand the sub sites (although as you saw displays if you map that site by url). Our content type functionality follows this. For v1.1 content type functionality only maps onto the site collection content type collection. I think the idea of displaying subsite content types would indeed be a useful feature and will raise a new feature in the 'issue tracker' work items to this effect. The support for importing from any level of mapped content type will be raised as a seperate work item as this is more enhancement to existing functionality. Cheers, Wes
Aug 5, 2010 at 5:20 PM

OK, thanks for your reply. I'll recreate the content types at site collection root level.

Cheers,
Maarten